I've been holding out on you all a little with my WIP's. Yup, as if stockings and tree skirts weren't project enough, there are actually a couple of other things I've been surreptitiously been knitting on the side.
Here are two fronts and a back for the jacket that was designed for this yarn that I bought at ArtFibers in SF this past summer. The pattern was MIA for a few months, but I cast on just as soon as I found it again, and it has been the "comfort knitting" I go to when the intarsia and cables get to be too much to deal with. I've started the sleeves, and am doing both at the same time so that I can be sure they'll be a match. Although there's not a bit of wool in this yarn, I'm hoping that I'll still be able to get some winter wear out of this in this temperate NC climate. I'm starting to think about the closure I'll use for this jacket. I have some buttons (but no picture today) that I bought with this in mind, but they're not as good of a match as I thought they were when I got them. Now I'm thinking of making some bands and using a single frog closure close to the top. It will have a stand up collar, sort of mandarin oollar, and I think that type of closure would be in keeping with the design, but most likely I'll wait and see what everything looks like once it's all put together.
And for Roy, my friend who is teaching me everything he knows about rock climbing, I'm making this pair of socks. On US 0's. Yes, man-socks on the tiniest needles I own. They are the "Gentleman's Sock in Railway Stitch" from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks. I offered to use some sedately colored man-yarn from my stash, but Roy said no, they should be wild. I hope this is wild enough! That's some Trekking XXL in colorway 66 for the main color, and a little bit of purple Wildfoote sock yarn thrown in for some contrast on the heel and toe-to-be. Note the calf shaping there... that was kind of fun, although it made for less auto-pilot knitting than my socks usually are.
My critter folks have caught one more raccoon, this one in a trap right by my kitchen door, and he was a big one! That was last week, and there haven't been any more since that time, so perhaps that's all that know about my house and cat doors. My dad came down to visit yesterday, and we replaced both dysfunctional cat doors with new ones that will actually lock, so hopefully this will not be a problem again (keep your fingers crossed for me).